Officials said the world tennis No. 1, who is unvaccinated for COVID-19, may pose a risk to the community.
The cancellation means Djokovic would be barred from a new Australian visa for three years, except under certain circumstances.
Immigration Minister Alex Hawke used discretionary powers to again cancel Djokovic’s visa, after a court quashed an earlier revocation and released him from immigration detention on Monday.
Australia has cancelled Novak Djokovic ‘s visa for a second time, the country’s immigration minister announced on Friday. Pictured: Djokovic rests during a training session at Melbourne Park, Australia, January 14, 2022
‘Today I exercised my power under section 133C(3) of the Migration Act to cancel the visa held by Mr Novak Djokovic on health and good order grounds, on the basis that it was in the public interest to do so,’ Hawke said in a statement.
‘This decision followed orders by the Federal Circuit and Family Court on 10 January 2022, quashing a prior cancellation decision on procedural fairness grounds.
‘In making this decision, I carefully considered information provided to me by the Department of Home Affairs, the Australian Border Force and Mr Djokovic.
‘The Morrison Government is firmly committed to protecting Australia’s borders, particularly in relation to the Covid-19 pandemic.’
Melbourne’s The Age newspaper earlier on Friday cited a source in Prime Minister Scott Morrison’s Liberal Party as saying the government was ‘strongly leaning’ towards revoking the visa again.
The tennis star was facing mounting criticism for his actions, including from other tennis players set to take part in the Australian Open next week.
Greek world number four Stefanos Tsitsipas said Djokovic was ‘playing by his own rules’ and making vaccinated players ‘look like fools’.
‘No-one really thought they could come to Australia unvaccinated and not having to follow the protocols … it takes a lot of daring to do and putting the grand slam at risk, which I don’t think many players would do,’ Tsitsipas said in an interview with India’s WION news channel.
An online poll by the News Corp media group found that 83 percent favoured the government trying to deport the tennis star.